World RPS Bullboard
News: Society News: Alex Apter seen "back on the job", may also have just been digging through dumpster for food / shelter.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 10:07:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Masters of the Bullboard E-Tournament - Must have at least 250 posts to enter...  (Read 38610 times)
Rockefeller
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2004, 08:27:41 AM »

I was just thinking that a tournament between the biggest bullboard posters would be fun. Those members with a minimum of 250 posts are invited.

This invitation is extended to:

C. Urbanus
Master Rosh
Jef
James
Custardchuk
Arbiter
Rockefeller

What do you say? Any suggestions for format? I'm not a big organizer, I'm just the Ideasman.

Rockefeller

winner of the 2003 Wojek Smallsoas Prize for Outstanding Contributions to the Art of Rock Paper Scissors
Arbiter
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 09:35:52 AM »

I'm in.  I'd love to see a round robin format or something a little out of the ordinary.

Arbiter
Zone Captain, Media Brigade
Scissors for scissors' sake.
Brad Fox
Administrator
Bullboard Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 06:09:15 PM »

Given the relatively low number of qualifying participants (and my earlier rant on the subject) I would suggest that this would be a perfect field for a full round robin (every entrant plays every other entrant and the top half then play a direct elimination semi/final(s).

E-Play (presiding you want to keep the tournament on the bullboard and not use some third party gaming system or intermediate protocol (Instant Messangers, ICQ, ) would suggest competitors submit a throw (or series of throws) to a neutral third party who resolves and publishes them both at the same time. Players keep re-submitting throws (or series of throws) until the match is decided.

Depending on the time limit for each turn it could take a while, but it would certainly be fascinating to watch, and would be an unparallelled demonstration of the highest level RPS strategy seen in quite a while.

Provided there is interest (and everyone can agree on a set of rules) I'd be happy to facilitate.

Head of Officiating WRPS
Head Referee, World Championships 2004-2008
Grand Marshall, World Championships 2009
custardchuk
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Hall-of-Famer

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 08:27:24 AM »

I was just thinking that a tournament between the biggest bullboard posters

Jeff would probably be the "biggest" bullboard poster on your list but 'Buddha' Rankin is definately the biggest bullboard poster that I personaly know off.
Just taking the mickey, Rock.
I'm happy to play my next door neighbour's grandma. Who wouldn't want to play in this field?
I'm also happy for Brad to oversee proceedings, he proved to be an impartial referee at Toronto, despite my pleadings.
I'd like to nominate Arbiter as Tournament Secretary. In keeping with his wish for something out of the ordinary, I think it would be good for Arbiter to experience something out of the ordinary.
Rosh may be a little difficult to get. He's proved he will do anything to avoid a confrontation with Urbanus, Arbiter and myself.
As the ideas man, Rock, it should probably be up to you to nominate the stakes, the one sticking point I see.

regards
custardchuk[/color]

We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.
Rockefeller
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 08:51:26 AM »

Brad,

I believe you are the perfect person to facilitate this sort of tournament. As we discuss rules, I hope you can steer us in the direction that would be best fitted for our E-Tourney.

Regarding stakes... we could all throw in some cash via paypal, and the winner could take the bounty. Of course the winner gets some nice bragging rights as well, and perhaps a title such as "Grand Champion Of The Masters Of The Bullboard 2004."

What do you think Rosh? Jef? James? Urbanus?

winner of the 2003 Wojek Smallsoas Prize for Outstanding Contributions to the Art of Rock Paper Scissors
Arbiter
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 10:44:11 AM »

I second, third or fourth the motion to make Mr. Fox the facilitator, depending on what the current count is.

Before I agree to be a secretary, I'd need a better idea of what we need a secretary for in the first place.

I don't know about cash stakes; it would depend on how much.  It is right before Christmas after all.

I don't think it's fair that custardchuk took the mickey already.  I think he should give it back before we start.  Maybe it could go to the winner as part of the stakes.

Arbiter
custardchuk
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Hall-of-Famer

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 04:18:35 PM »

I figure a secretary's job is to record the progress of games in order to resolve any misunderstanding that could occur should high winds taint any individuals record keeping systems.

regards
custardchuk

We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.
Rockefeller
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 04:21:13 PM »

I still haven't heard from a few of you. Are you in or out? Maybe you're CHICKEN?

Rockefeller

Jef Hallestone
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 07:26:26 AM »

I am in!

Jef Hallestone
That's Jef with one"f"!
C. Urbanus
Global Moderator
Bullboard Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 09:30:19 PM »

I am in.

Now that I can get into the Bull Board to say that I am in.

Now excuse me, I must go back to training for the tournament.

Sincerely,

C. Urbanus
2005 International World Championships Round of 16 qualifier
2007 International World Championships Round of 32 Qualifier
2010 Toronto Invitational Champion
"Paper is the answer, should Rock be the question."
ScissorMan
Bullboard Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 10:53:30 PM »

If you need a body to fill out the field, I would be glad to volunteer. I realize my posting level is distressingly low, but my paucity of posts has been engineered to save the reading public undue stress.

Furthermore, I would be glad to bring a whole case of Mickey's.
Best,
Scissorman

undi omnes divisa est in partes tres;
Saxum, Charta, et Forfex
Arbiter
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 02:38:23 PM »

No response from James, I notice.  Hopefully that means he's busy installing that network line I asked for.

Arbiter
Rockefeller
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 07:00:12 AM »

Are you in Rosh?

How about you James?

I like the idea of a round robin. Do you want to play via rpsgame.com or email, or what?

How many rounds do you want to play at each level?

We don't have to play for money. We could play to avoid disgrace. For instance, the winner could add their new title to their signature line, while the losers have to add a predetermined line to theirs like "I'm a loser and {the winner} is a God among ants like me." Or something to that effect.

What are you're thoughts?

Master Roshambollah
Greatest Player in RPS History (retired)
Global Moderator
Bullboard Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 02:36:48 PM »

I am honored to receive your invitation, Rocky.  However, as you must surely know by now, I have retired from competitive RPS.  

Too bad.  The tournament sounds like a blast.  You know, I always had a sneaking suspicion that the players for the International Invitationals were chosen along similar lines (number of Bull Board posts.)

Rockefeller
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 04:21:35 PM »

Quote from: "Master Roshambollah"
I am honored to receive your invitation, Rocky.  However, as you must surely know by now, I have retired from competitive RPS.  

Too bad.  The tournament sounds like a blast.  You know, I always had a sneaking suspicion that the players for the International Invitationals were chosen along similar lines (number of Bull Board posts.)

Surely you don't consider this "competitive RPS?" This is no more "competitive RPS" than when you play amongst friends in your local watering hole.

This is a tournament where the pillars of the RPS community can enjoy the satisfaction of a schooled opponent.

Maybe we should just cancel the whole thing?

Rockefeller

p.s. check out my updated gallery! There are a couple of new paintings of Rapa Nui, part of a series I'm calling "The Gods of Rock," that I just love. Ch Ch Ch Ch Check it![/color]

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: