World RPS Bullboard
: Society News: Alex Apter seen "back on the job", may also have just been digging through dumpster for food / shelter.

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. November 23, 2017, 08:01:54 PM

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Design Competition  (Read 34403 times)

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
  • Relax. It's just a game.
    • View Profile
Re: Design Competition
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »

Where's Rockefeller at these days?  This looks like something right up his alley.
Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GodSlayerNES

Master Roshambollah

• Greatest Player in RPS History (retired)
  • Global Moderator
  • Bullboard Legend
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/65301088
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »

Alex, regardless of which design RPSOZ chooses, I think your design is deserving in and of itself.  Can I get a graphic file?

Here's a thought:  how about an "Open Source RPS Design" project?  Individuals could submit graphics files to a site like cafepress, where anyone with access to the store could print out shirts, mugs, etc with any of the submitted logos.

Of course, many respectable organizations rely on t-shirt sales to generate revenue (among them the Philly City League and the World RPS Society,) and their for-sale designs shouldn't be included.  However, it could be a cool source for offbeat RPS shirts that could be purchased at "cost" from cafepress. 

Needless to say, I have no design skills whatsover, so I won't be contributing any material whatsoever.

custardchuk

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Hall-of-Famer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 06:07:23 AM »

Well, time is up and it's time to announce the winner.

Drum roll......... tatatatattatatattatat

While it was hard to choose between all the fantastic entries, as in RPS, all of you are winners except for those of you that lose.

The losers are deepthought, Triple A, Scissorsista and goelzjs. That leaves Burley and his, "For the love of Rolf" design. RPSOZ will wear it with pride.

Congratulations, Martin, your t-shirt is in the mail.

regards
custardchuk
We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.

Franklint

• Bullboard Master
  • It's all in the wrist.
    • MSN Messenger - wpridmore@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 06:32:37 AM »

Where's mine? Well, about that...
Too much on my plate at the moment.

Great work everyone, and congratulations to martinburley!

I look forward to buying one of your shirts.

Cheers,
Franklint
-Winner of the Best New Bull Boarder of 2007 award.
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
-First ever Australian to lose to a Norwegian in competition play.

custardchuk

• Janitorial Staff
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 06:42:34 AM »

Buy?

They are not for sale.

It's OK though. Everyone who contributed will get a shirt so you will be right........Hang on......You didn't do one....oh..... You could always try bidding on e-bay, I guess.

regards
custardchuk

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 01:18:31 PM »

Way to go martin!  Now I just have to figure out who Rolf is.  From the context of the posts, it sounds like he is a 70's or 80's Australian musician of some kind.
Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

martinburley

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Jerk
  • flow with the throw
    • MSN Messenger - martinburley@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - martinburley
    • View Profile
    • My halfbakery ideas
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 02:00:49 PM »

Rolf's eclectic career is summarised by Wikipedia here. He's a musician of sorts (best known for his invention of the wobble board, his song 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport', and his version of 'Stairway to Heaven') and cartoonist, beloved of children who grew up in the 80s and 90s for his kids TV shows where he sketched cartoons really quickly, asking, "Can ye' guess what it is yet?" In 2005, he was commissioned to draw a portrait of the Queen for her 80th birthday.

His RPS career is less well-known, as Rolf himself prefers to keep quiet about it. He competed with some success on the Outback circuit as a youngster, and looked to have some promise. He made it to the semi-finals of the North Queensland Open in 1951, when he was 21. However, he was disqualified for throwing a 'Didgeridoo' (thrown by placing your hand in front of your mouth with your fingers half-curled and your thumb touching your index finger, to look as though you're holding a didgeridoo to your mouth).

Ashamed of his disqualification, Rolf never returned to RPS. However, in an interview, he once admitted his regret at not taking it further: "Yeah, I never should've thrown the 'didge' in that match, mate, but I thought I'd only get a warning for it. I was just having a bit of fun, like. Strewth, I was gobsmacked when that flamin' galah of a ref red-carded me!

"I've done all right fer myself since then - me music, me sketches, all of that, mate, but I still wonder what would've happened if I'd carried on in RPS. I wanted to, but when my career as a musician and cartoonist took off, my producers refused to let me compete on the Aussie RPS circuit - too risky, they said. I guess that was true, back then, and now I'm too old to give it a fair crack of the whip. I'll leave it to youngsters like custardchuk to become to RPS what I was to music."

For more on Rolf check out his official website.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 02:36:47 PM by martinburley »
"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

TripleA

• Bullboard Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 02:01:32 PM »

I'd say that the art boys would be dissapointed, but honestly? I think they're too drunk to care... and Martin's designs are superlative, no doubt.

I also had to find out more about this Rolf. As best I could make out he's a mix between a musician, kids show host, and Bob Ross.

If Wikipedia's to be believed he also wrote and recorded the 1959 classic Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport.

Truly a suitable Antipodean Da-Vinci to represent the wide range of talents at RPSOZ. 

Edit - Beaten to the punch by the quicker fingers of M. Burley. Drat!

lex "TripleA" Apter
Co-Host of RPS Radio
http://www.rpsradio.com

martinburley

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Jerk
  • flow with the throw
    • View Profile
    • My halfbakery ideas
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 02:15:31 PM »

Wow! I'm surprised I won. Not that the 'For the love of Rolf' design isn't great, but just because RPSOZ voted for an RPSNZ design. It's kind of like Congress hiring a Canadian to design a new US flag.

The other designs were great, too, everyone deserved to win.

But hey, what can I say? I'm on a roll.  :)
"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

martinburley

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Jerk
  • flow with the throw
    • View Profile
    • My halfbakery ideas
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »

Some clips:

Rolf in action on Cartoon Time

Rolf with his wobble board singing 'Stairway to Heaven'!

Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport

and for humour value, this fantastic spoof:
Da Rolf Harris Code ("They're called Opus G'Day...")

or the older and siller:
Rolf Harrises in captivity
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 04:21:22 PM by martinburley »

Jef Hallestone

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Jerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 02:39:49 PM »

You got to be kidding that the Rolf design beat out Deepthought's design.

That is just not right
Jef Hallestone
That's Jef with one"f"!

Franklint

• Bullboard Master
  • It's all in the wrist.
    • MSN Messenger - wpridmore@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »

Oh, sorry. I thought they were. I've never really had experience with RPSOZ tour shirts, having only been into RPS for about a month.

No worries.

Cheers,
Franklint
-Winner of the Best New Bull Boarder of 2007 award.
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
-First ever Australian to lose to a Norwegian in competition play.

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 06:22:56 PM »

I've heard the "tie me kangaroo down, sport" song before.  Brings back memories of an old friend from Perth.  Sounds like a fitting choice for a shirt.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:53:15 PM by R Cohrs »

deepthought

• Bullboard Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gregbenge.com
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 08:36:41 AM »

I know when I'm licked...

Congrats on the win martinB.

custardchuk

• Janitorial Staff
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 07:55:56 AM »

I'd just like to bump this. Deepthought has apparently discovered his designs were used on an Australian stamp and he is getting a little libelious.
RPSOZ acknowledges that:

Deepthought's design was not the worst in the competition.
Deepthought's design was, in fact, chosen by RPSOZ as it's perferred logo over martinburleys "Rolf" design despite RPSOZ awarding the prizemoney to martinburley.
Deepthought's RPSOZ 2007 Tour  T-shirts were the hottest (non official merchandise) items at the 2007 WRPSS Championships and that RPSOZ enjoyed benefits, not limited to financial gain, but including goods and services, by exchanging said T-shirts.
Deepthought's design was made into a legitimate Ausralian stamp without Deepthoughts express permission.

RPSOZ apologises unreservedly for whatever Deepthought wants us to.

custardchuk
Chairman RPSOZ

(On a personal note, Deepthought. Any chance we can tweak it to make it a little less dated? Once this blows over we have to start again. Rolf Harris never dates. Your call.......)

Pages: 1 [2]