World RPS Bullboard
News: I swear I left a cheese sandwich right here. [shape] of [negative quality] sought for questioning.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 21, 2014, 02:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaiji the RPS ANIME  (Read 18207 times)
deepthought
Bullboard Regular

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2007, 07:24:10 PM »

So, I'm wandering around the site crunchyroll.com checking out different Anime.  I stumble upon the show "Kaiji" with an interesting scenario:

Kaiji is a loser.  He drinks, doesn't work, and gambles all the time.  An outstanding debt, left to him by a "friend" he helped, leaves him in dire circumstance.  He is fooled by the Yakuza into an all-or-nothing gambling cruise.  The twist?  He doesn't know the game and if he loses, is sent into hard labor to pay off his debt. 

That's the scenario they give you.  I'll go ahead and spoil the suprise at the end of the first episode.  The game they play is a card version of RPS.  It's crazy.  First, each player borrows even more money from the house.  Then, each player gets four of each card (Rock, Paper, Scissors... 12 cards)  Then they get a nametag with three stars.  When you match with someone, winner gets the losers star and the cards used are destroyed.  The object is that in 4 hours time, you need to use all of your cards and have three stars.  That's it. No other rules.

It seems to get pretty interesting with lots of "aliances" and scheming.  They figure out that you can partner with someone and "cheat" by deliberatley drawing each match.  You use all your cards and keep your original three stars.  The problem is... You don't win enough money and your partner could always double cross you.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/showmedia?id=179137 registration required, but it's a great site for Anime.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:26:28 PM by deepthought » Logged
R Cohrs
Bullboard Master

Relax. It's just a game.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 08:15:13 PM »

That sounds like a really cool anime.  I'm definitely checking it out.  Thanks for the info!

Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GodSlayerNES
R Cohrs
Bullboard Master

Relax. It's just a game.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:37:36 PM »

Already watched 4 episodes and it's a pretty cool show.  Relates to the world RPS very nicely, except maybe where it violates the rule of playing RPS in a life or death circumstance.  What's with Kaaji's mullet  Smiley  This anime really shows the dark underground side of RPS, but also the way strategy can be implemented into the game with sometimes disastrous results.  I didn't have to join the host site to watch the series either; I just followed the link and clicked on the next episodes in the sidebar.  Definitely worth watching, although I am a sucker for anime in Japanese with English subtitles. 

Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:13 AM »

Woah, this sounds awesomo.

Thanks for the link!

Cheers,
Franklint

-Winner of the Best New Bull Boarder of 2007 award.
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
-First ever Australian to lose to a Norwegian in competition play.
Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:16:49 AM »

Oh my God.

I love this animé. I started watching them at 11:45 last night, and I didn't stop until 2:30.

This is easily my favourite animé series ever.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Franklint

-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
deepthought
Bullboard Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »

HAHA

Glad You all like it.  Even though it has the "read the rules between the rules" street style of competition, it still has alot of bare bones clever strategy.   Just wait until you get to the end of the tourney.

It keeps going after the cruise, but it looks like the RPS finishes after episode 9.

(I'll keep watching)
martinburley
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Jerk

flow with the throw

martinburley@hotmail.com martinburley
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 01:51:52 PM »

I watched up to episode 11. It's strangely compelling viewing. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The RPS tournament idea was pretty cleverly thought out. Would be interesting to try out that 'restricted RPS' format sometime (minus the hard labour for the losers, of course). The pressure of having to use all your cards to avoid losing was the key element that made the tournament as complex and intense as it was.

What happens to Kaiji all through the RPS tournament pretty effectively highlights why it's a bad idea to get involved in street RPS if you value loyalty, trust and honesty. 

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
deepthought
Bullboard Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 02:59:06 PM »

Of course, the added element of "If you lose, they drag you into a dark room" makes for much more dramatic stakes.

Something to look into possibly for a tourney.  I'm GMing at Katsucon LARP (anime convention) again this year.  We use RPS instead of dice.  Maybe I'll organize a restricted tourney and let you guys know how it goes.
martinburley
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Jerk

flow with the throw

martinburley@hotmail.com martinburley
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »

The game Kaiji's currently playing (in Episodes 16 and 17) is basically another kind of 'restricted RPS'. (Citizen = Rock, Emperor = Paper, Slave = Scissors; one player has four Citizens and one Emperor, the other has four Citizens and one Slave, so he has to correctly guess when the other player will use his Emperor card to win, but gets 4-1 odds to compensate for his disadvantage.)

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
R Cohrs
Bullboard Master

Relax. It's just a game.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 09:05:27 PM »

New episodes up?  That's good news, the last I knew Kaiji was running across a treacherous bridge.  Great show so far!

deepthought
Bullboard Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »

E-card looks like alot of fun.  You could probably use a real deck of cards with K 123456 and Joker.

Next weekend in Washington DC, I'm GM-ing the Anime genre LARP at Katsucon.  (Game Master/Live Action Role Play for anyone who has a real hobby)

One of the days, I will be running  my own version of the "Restricted RPS" card game.  TI printed out a bunch of cards and everything.  The stakes won't be as high, but there will still be alot of "in game" money involved (We use mario coin as currency) 

I plan on returning with a full report and pics.
Master Roshambollah
Greatest Player in RPS History (retired)
Global Moderator
Bullboard Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 11:55:12 PM »

Well, deepthought, I suppose you imagined you'd come to DC without facing the dragon.  The man.  The myth.  The legend wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a sleeping bag.  I speak of none other than my own bad self.  Master Roshambollah.

As I'm sure you know, I make my residence in the nation's capitol.  Your "full report and pics" will be useless without a record of your match against the Greatest Player the Sport has ever known.

That's right; I'm calling you out.

Deepthought, your mother wears combat boots and your father smells of elderberries.  I doubt you could scissors your way out of a paper bag. 

The game's Hustler Style.  First player to reach ten, if you're not familiar.  Three prime shoot is the style on the East Coast.

I can easily be found in the Dupont Circle area Sat-Wed.  I will send you my cell via PM. 

If you want to gamble, we can arrange stakes; otherwise an honor match is fine. 

We can meet for coffee or something stronger if you're of age. 

I plan on opening with Rock.

regards,

Rosh

Darlo
Bullboard Regular

Darlo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 03:07:51 AM »

I've been following the series thanks to Gendou's fansub site and am loving the psychological battles it entails.

Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 02:10:57 AM »

Wow, this got on the front page of the site! Nice work deepthought.

I should get one of my posts on the main site.

Like this one.

Cheers,
Franklint

srn347
Village Idiot
Bullboard Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 12:55:27 PM »

Actually, it is more like emperor is rock, citizen is scissors, and slave is paper. Anyway, you can actually play restricted rps with regular cards(like ace>king>queen>ace), without the dark room of death and the million dollar stars of coarse. E-card has an interesting way of trying to predict moves, both players not playing their cards at the same time, but still revealing at the same time. Kaiji is in my opinion a great anime, but it was ended too early in the series. Playing restricted rps or e-card can actually be great training techniques for rps.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: