World RPS Bullboard
News: Developing Story: C. Urbanus "up to something in Philadelphia"

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 01, 2014, 12:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Franklint's Road Trip  (Read 47920 times)
Maxamillion
Bullboard Veteran

(AKA) Dr. SPRock

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »

thanks for the good advice Franklint.

i am also trying the 'hands in' approach to learning so to speak.

Like you on your road trip - experience being the best way to learn.

I am not really an academic but Trio of Hands sounds an interesting read.

cheers
max

Master of the Bull Board Champion 2009
Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 07:07:15 AM »

No worries Max.

I'm sure that hands-on is the best way to go in terms of gaining RPS Mastery. You've got to go in, all guns blazing, fail, modify your strategy and go back into the fray. Not only will your strategies improve but your general experience will increase massive amounts, which helps a great deal with things like player profiling.

The Trio of Hands has often been described as the Holy Grail of RPS. It contains within its pages some of the highest RPS wisdom ever written. The language used is apparently very poetic, which makes the book even deeper.

It seems that we may not have time to get to Washington! My dad has a gig (a gig meaning a psychiatric job) at Harvard, so we're probably going there instead. For this reason, Rosh, do you think we could meet up somewhere either before or after the Roshambo Winery tournament, in that area instead?

On that note, I'd like to know the exact date, time and address of the tournament if possible so we can arrange travel. Also, anyone know any good accomodation around there?

Cheers,
Franklint

-Winner of the Best New Bull Boarder of 2007 award.
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
-First ever Australian to lose to a Norwegian in competition play.
Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 07:01:48 AM »

Nobody has the details of the tourney?

Cheers,
Franklint

-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
custardchuk
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Hall-of-Famer

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 04:21:57 PM »

Yeah, The Roshambo Winery website. I lack the time, and more importantly, the ability to post the link.
Find it yourself.

regards
custardchuk

We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.
Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 01:32:17 AM »

custardchuk, my man.

Thanks buddy. I suppose I should have thought of this earlier. Will we be seeing you there?

Cheers,
Franklint

Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 06:11:47 AM »

Hmm. Another problem.

On "SecureWineShop.net" (Roshambo Winery's online store), the only places available to ship to are US states. Although the competitor tickets don't require shipping, I need to put in a US state to complete payment.

Perhaps someone in the US should buy them for me and I pay them back in cash?

Or would it matter if I just chose a random state that I "lived" in and continued with the order?

Cheers,
Franklint

Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 01:53:08 AM »

Ah! I really need to get this done!

While I really, really want to go to Roshambo Winery, I'm not going to waste my money by ordering something that's void because I pretended I lived in the US when I don't.

Does no one have any ideas?

Cheers,
Franklint

R Cohrs
Bullboard Master

Relax. It's just a game.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 02:21:04 AM »

I'm not sure about how to help you, but here's the contact info from roshambo winery's home page:

Snail Mail
P.O. Box 608
Healdsburg, CA 95448

info@roshambowinery.com This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

888.525.WINE (9463) toll-free
707.431.2051 phone
707.433.5745 fax

Why don't you try contacting them and asking about your situation?

Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GodSlayerNES
Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 02:28:29 AM »

R Cohrs.

You champion.

Thanks man. That's the second time I've completely neglected an obvious answer to my dilema inside this thread.

I'll chuck them across an e-mail.

Nice, rational thinking.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Franklint

Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 03:19:10 PM »

Awesomeness in a jar.

Naomi already replied to my e-mail. I'm putting the address down as the address of the winery, and then I just need to bring the confirmation e-mail along.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Franklint

Midnight Rider
Bullboard Veteran

I MUST have a "thank you masked man"!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »

I'd recommend staying away from Roshambo, Franklint.  It's a place for seasoned professionals and "salty dogs," not annoying little twerps.

That's probably the only warning you're going to get, and it isn't going to get any better.

Champion: 2005 Atlantic Yards Smackdown, 2005 Winter Solstice Invitational. Third Place: 2006 Keystone Classic. Final 8: 2005 Keystone Classic. Competitor: 2005-2008 Internationals, 2005-2007 Roshambo Winery, 2007 Philly City League. Absent: 2008 Roshambo
srn347
Village Idiot
Bullboard Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 04:38:30 PM »

Let's settle this with rps between you two, with a twist. Whoever loses the best 3 out of 5 between you two is right. The loser can't post for 3 days. You still must choose rock, paper, or scissors(no choosing dynamite to get disqualified so you can lose more easily. Franklint, I am rooting for you even though you suggested a ban on me(irony).
Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 12:41:28 AM »

Rider,

I think you'll find that I can be more than an annoying little twerp, and are much "better" (both in theory, practice, and on some higher level) at the sport than you think. If you're coming, I hope to take you on, and we'll see. I'm a good people person, and Naomi (for one) is looking forward to meeting me. Tongue

srn,
As per the RPS game to decide, I'd like to make a couple of things clear. Firstly, I'm up for it if the Rider is. Secondly, I'm coming to Roshambo independent of the result of the match.

Cheers,
Franklint
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 08:45:25 PM by Franklint » Logged

Franklint
Bullboard Master

It's all in the wrist.

wpridmore@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »

Well, this thread is finally coming to a close, as R Cohrs' Korea thread (http://www.worldrps.com/bullboard/index.php?topic=2699.0) rises up to take its place as the latest travel documentation.

My trip has been absolutely, totally, positively fantastic, incredible, inspiring and a great deal of other positive emotions. I've had a fantastic time in New York City going to heaps of Broadway shows (Spring Awakening is awesome, and if Blue Man Group is ever on in your area, go and see it. Very surreal and hard to describe, but certainly worth it), exploring the city and catching up with a friend of mine who's taking an Acting for Film course up there.

As well as all this, I was lucky enough to be in the U.S. during Hell Week, which made it possible for me to attend my first international RPS tournament, the annual Roshambo Winery one. Words cannot describe the überness of this tourney. It was just great fun. Just before attending, I met up with custardchuk and Rosh in San Fran, and most of us (bar Rosh, due to travel inconveniences) headed up to attend the tournament over the course of that night and the next day.

The atmosphere was really intense, but at the same time really friendly. custardchuk, my mother and I were entered in the tournament, and unfortunately custardchuk and myself got knocked out in the first round by a couple of amateurs. My mother went on, only to get knocked out in the second round.

While this may sound like a rather unsuccessful result, who could forget the Funny Money Street RPS competition? This was a real challenge for me, as I'm rather bad at gambling (as I don't like losing what I've already got). While Street isn't endorsed by the Society, in this instance I think it was important, because it allowed for the fun and thrill of competing to continue outside the main tournament.

I must say, I really enjoyed the Street matches, as I had to play in some high-stakes games to have a chance at one of the top prizes, which got the adrenaline going. One memorable moment was winning back my $1500 I'd lost in multiple games, in one tense best-of-three with one of the Hooters girls (a rather notorious team of good players).

At the end of the tournament, from a field of roughly 170-200 competitors, I managed to get fourth place in the Street comp. This was very thrilling, and a great debut on the international RPS stage. My prizes (some gift certificates for restaurants, and a free golf game) were taken by my Master as tuition fees, which meant we were all happy as I couldn't have used them anyway. For getting in the top four, I was given a free Funny Money bill to keep. This was the bit that probably meant the most, and chances are I'll frame it.

Due partly to this achievement, and partly to the time having come, I was promoted by my mystery Master. My apprenticeship was terminated, and I am now a Journeyman. I have learnt all that can be taught from my Master, and it was a huge honour to graduate. He or she knows how thankful I am, so I needn't go on about that in this post.

I bought a second, pristine, copy of the Strategy Guide, as a signature book. I managed to get signatures from custardchuk and Rosh (with nice encouraging messages in them), as well as a couple of Roshambo referees, as well as Naomi and Scott.

I managed to acquire two new t-shirts, and I was interviewed by a film crew covering the tournament.

I made many friends during my trip, and it was excellent to finally meet the guys. It meant a lot to me.

I'm now hanging out in San Fran for another day and a bit, before catching the plane home.

All holidays should be this enjoyable and successful!

I've got a truckload of pictures, so I might choose a couple to post here. For those who care enough, I may also make one big archive and upload it, so you can download them all in one chunk. If you're only interested in the Roshambo tournament (and not, for example, my meeting with Rosh and custardchuk), I'd suggest you just wait for the official photoset from the winery itself. Much less biased against people who aren't my friends :-).

Cheers,
Franklint
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:53:09 PM by Franklint » Logged

R Cohrs
Bullboard Master

Relax. It's just a game.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »

Awesome experienc Franklint!  Way to go with the street tourney; super-impressive finish!  It sounds like the journey was great for you, and is excellent to hear about.  Don't worry about the 1st round loss; same thing for me at the World's.  Great report!

Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GodSlayerNES
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: