World RPS Bullboard
: I swear I left a cheese sandwich right here. [shape] of [negative quality] sought for questioning.

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. November 23, 2017, 08:04:42 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Korea (I've got Seoul)  (Read 96854 times)

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
  • Relax. It's just a game.
    • View Profile
Korea (I've got Seoul)
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:06:28 AM »

Yo everyone,
   I made it to Seoul safely.  Been here since Sunday.  It's warm, rained everyday, food's spicy, soju's good, people are nice, training's going well, I can't read or write anything, and I've been busting my ass studying like I haven't done in a long time.  Already played some RPS, and the only rumor I've heard yet is that Koreans use a pointing motion for scissors; only one finger.  Ok, lots of stuff to do, still scattered net access, should change next week though.  Hopefully Urbanus gives me a little while for the challenge he sent me because this computer doesn't allow pop-ups.  I'll try to use this thread for a journal like I did with Japan :)
Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GodSlayerNES

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
Re: Korea (I've got Seoul)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:25:35 AM »

Saw a commercial with a Kai Bai Bo scene yesterday.  Girl won with vertical paper to guy's normal rock.  First Kai Bai Bo action I've seen.  Still raining, at my school, Korea's cool.  Some differences from Japan: no awesome capsule machines and beer and cig machines everywhere, people are a little bigger in size, subway's got more street shops scattered about, less cutesy and hentai and more serious here.  About to observe my first teaching class, and find out where my apartment is tonight.  I'm in Hanam, about 20-30 minutes from Seoul.  8)
Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 03:30:10 AM »

My apartment is cool;; 9th floor single room view of the city and mountains.  Today I went to Seoul and there was a lot of smog; a little depressing.  So all the kids were playing RPS in classes yesterday; apparently it's super-popular with the kids here.  Good news for me; one more thing I can relate to.  I learned today that it's impossible to get a current American magazine here; anywhere from a year to at best a month old.  And the DS games are more expensive and surprisingly seem a little out of date.  I walked into a pretty fancy Nintendo store at a mall today, and they were really promoting games that came out at least a year ago in America.  Surprising since Korea is so close to Japan, but not surprising in some ways with the Japanese-Korean tension.  Things are still going well; I'm at an internet cafe in my apartment, first time I've used one.  8)

Maxamillion

• Bullboard Veteran
  • (AKA) Dr. SPRock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »

This trip sounds real cool Mr cohrs.

What are you teaching RPS?

Max
Master of the Bull Board Champion 2009

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:49:58 AM »

I suppose I'll be teaching a bit of RPS, but I get paid to teach English.  Tomorrow is my first day!

martinburley

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Jerk
  • flow with the throw
    • MSN Messenger - martinburley@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - martinburley
    • View Profile
    • My halfbakery ideas
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »

Great to hear you got there safe and sound R Cohrs; it sounds like you've got off to a good start. Best of luck with your first day at work, and keep the reports coming, it's always interesting to hear about another culture both RPSwise and otherwise. Enjoy the teaching, the RPS and the kimchi!

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Franklint

• Bullboard Master
  • It's all in the wrist.
    • MSN Messenger - wpridmore@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »

This is so awesome. Congrats on getting to Korea safely, R Cohrs. You seem like quite the Asia enthusiast, what with going to Japan also. I was thinking about this just today. I think, generally, the Japanese culture, followed by Korean and Chinese, is very attractive, and really charms many more people than, say, Sweden.

Looks like things are going great. I'll be excited to read your further entries.

I like a man who knows what he wants to do and doesn't let international borders stop him :).

Cheers,
Franklint
-Winner of the Best New Bull Boarder of 2007 award.
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
-First ever Australian to lose to a Norwegian in competition play.

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »

First day went pretty well, made a couple mistakes but that's natural I suppose.  Just getting a bit confused about all the homework and tests; I really appreciate my own school years now.  The kids here go to school all day, then this school at night, and have HW and tests in both.
   Japan is still my first love, but there's a lot of great things about Korea.  It's a lot cheaper in comparison, so I can actually save money, and luckily English teachers are paid pretty well by Korean standards (and my own personal standards after fast-food jobs).  And Koreans are a bit bigger in general, so I can probably buy clothes here.  Korea and Japan have a rough history; Japan is pretty racist towards Koreans, but not as bad vis-versa.  I like them both though.  Not like there's any racism in America...
   McDonald's delivers here!  That's insane!  There's also Pizza Hut, Burger King, Papa John's, TGIFriday's, Bennigans, and probably more American restaurants.  They have Guinness too; damn my tastes though cause it's still expensive here like America.
   Hard to find anyone that speaks English, so I have a real limited community.  Hopefully I can learn some Hangul (Korean) soon. 
   Went to a Buddhist temple in Seoul and saw a 40-50 ft Buddha from base to top.  Very peaceful, did some meditating.  Saw a fire juggling and breathing show at a bar, that was pretty impressive.  Especially since there's basically no tipping in this country! 
   Oh yeah, there's a brothel in my apartment building!  ;)  There's spinning barber poles in front of a lot of buildings; I've been told that one is normal message, two is happy ending, and yes there's two in front of my building.   Not something I'm likely to check out though.

Maxamillion

• Bullboard Veteran
  • (AKA) Dr. SPRock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 04:46:25 AM »

congrats on surviving your first day.

great way to see the world & getting paid for the privalage is a clever move.

could set up a barber shop to practice your scissor throw & earn extra pennies to pay for the Guinness!

max

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »

Haven't posted anything new for a little while, because nothing new has really happened.  Amazing how a trip across the world has been surprisingly tame so far.  I think this has been in part because I was waiting for my reimbursement, so I haven't had any money to travel or even drink at bars yet.  But, things are improving in that respect so hopefully more exciting times to follow.

Kids are still playing Kai Bai Bo everyday, but since this is an English school they do call it Rock Paper Scissors (albeit with vertical paper).  They play a lot of group RPS here too.

Hmmm... glad I brought my old laptop, because I've been giving the old NES games on it a run for their money.  I checked out a bunch of old Famicom games, and was surprised that a lot of them are pretty crappy.  I guess Americans didn't get the shaft by missing the scores of unplayable Famicom games that were released, although a few were worth the digging around.

Tried some "Italian" food here; it was too expensive, really sweet, and tasted nothing like what it should.  I suppose American "Italian" food isn't the same as the real thing either, but I know that in St. Louis on "the Hill" I've had probably the closest thing possible.  For now I survive on fast food hamburgers and cheap Kim Bop.  I like Korean food, just a little daunting for me to go to restaurants alone, especially with the lack of picture menus.  Korea is still cool, so much different than Japan, but teaching is going well.  Seems like every shop is aimed at girls' shoes and clothing, and the main social activity is window shopping and eating, not my favorite hobbies.  But there's still lots of time to explore.   8)

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »

Pretty irritated today.  Had dinner with the staff yesterday; very nice, good food, good soju, but I forgot my bag when I left.  I don't know where the restaurant is, just that it was only a few minutes by car to my house, so I tried to walk back to it yesterday, but just couldn't find it.  Among other important things, my bag had my MP3 player filled with all my music, so I'm really hoping the restaurant didn't throw it out or give it away.  My boss's phone number was in the bag, so I can't even try to call him to ask him for help, just had to e-mail him.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed here, and hopefully the place will hold onto my stuff for me.  Arghhhh!! 

Oh yeah RPS-wise, heard a loud Kai Bai Bo match at the bar a couple nights ago, and apparently there's some variations like if you throw a certain throw that is called then you can lose.  Also heard of a variant game where you have to match weird hand movements to win; learning more each day.

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:58:36 AM »

Found my bag, nothing missing, yay!!  Went to bars last night; first one had a 70's disco party complete with Saturday Night Fever on TV; really funny to see the young Koreans' try to disco, although they're braver than me...  Went to a subzero bar last night where everything was frozen, drinks were served in blocks of ice, had to wear a parka and gloves, pretty strange.  Then I went to a different bar where the theme was like strange caves; really reminded me of Star Wars, like Jabba the Hut's place or the Canteena.  Plus it had hookah smoking; mine was minty flavored.  Amazing what's on the inside of a boring looking tower.  No RPS bar yet though  8)

Maxamillion

• Bullboard Veteran
  • (AKA) Dr. SPRock
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »

They sound like very interesting bars.

plenty of variety, the bars down our "Toon" are reputedly all the same - full of ladies like Franklints 'ART'!!!!!

Max

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:05:47 PM »

And then there was nothing...  Teaching is fun; only thing I've done lately is draw pictures for my blank walls.  Ate at McDonald's for the 4 of July (America's independence day); had Chinese chicken and Korean pork sandwiches and laughed at the irony.  Only other thing I've learned lately is it's kill or be killed here.  If you want to buy something, you better make sure you hand your stuff to the clerk immediately or some jerk will take your spot in about a second.  No waiting politely in line here anywhere. 

Won is one of the only world currencies that is actually losing against the dollar right now.  Bad news for my paycheck :(

I finally had a couple opportunities to use RPS in the classroom to settle some minor disputes.  Watch out for these kids; they're better than many already.   8)

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:22:37 PM »

I had a crazy adventure last weekend that involved drinking way too much soju and almost dying of alcohol poisoning.  It wasn't pretty.  But I would have to say the highlight of the night was playing one of my Korean hosts in a death match for an American ten dollars vs. 10000 won.  I tried to throw scissors; there was no priming so it was just basically shoot after calling the throws.  The guy balked though and left me out there with a scissors throw, but I turned it around on him.  I figured that he'd try to beat the scissors, so I flipped a paper on him and took the money.  But I gave him his won back because he was my host and was providing food and drinks.  So yeah, then we drank soju all night and I had a black-out.  Not pretty... soju is only good in moderation.  I've been recovering this whole week, and I don't know if I'll be welcome back at the place, kind of made a mess :(  All's fair in drinking I think though.

Still teaching the kids RPS or vis versa.  A little girl about 6 years old schooled me twice, so I had to give her less homework.  I tell ya there's a ton of up-and-comers here.

So perhaps the board has died, but as my RPS adventures continue around the globe, I'll keep filing the paperwork until they lock the door.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5