World RPS Bullboard
News: I swear I left a cheese sandwich right here. [shape] of [negative quality] sought for questioning.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 02, 2014, 05:30:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Death of Wojek causes cancellation of 2010 RPS WCs  (Read 5552 times)
peter paper
Bullboard Regular

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »

I never knew Mr. Smallsoa, and yet I feel his influence every day of my life.  I want his passing to enhance my play.  I want his passing to embolden my zeal. And in his passing, I want a double-portion of his spirit. 
    But most of all, I want the championships to be moved to Dallas, TX, where the fastest hands in the west have been twitching and itching ever since the handgun laws went into effect.  There is an ocean of raw talent down here just begging to be discovered.  Won't you come?
custardchuk
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Hall-of-Famer

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »

On behalf of RPSOZ, I'd like to express our sadness on the passing of Wojek Smallsoa.

There are many who will attest to his contribution to this sport, both small people and big people, and the small peoples stories shall be his epitaph, and on their shoulders so shall Wojek be raised.

I'd like to add to their voice.

Wojek was a passionate supporter of antipodean RPS. Every year, since RPSOZ established itself as legitimate voice for Rock Paper Scissors players in Australia, he has sent us Christmas messages of encouragement. (not counting 87, and 99, 00, (nobody is perfect)).

My understanding is that he visited darwin in 2005 to "promote RPS in underdeveloped markets" and to "check out", (so the story goes) the fledgling territories. While I personally didn't get the chance to meet him during that visit, I've since met many who did and all of those chicks have nothing but praise for the man.

The WRPSS will be less for his loss, but, I hope, more for his lessons.

If WRPSS was a boat, then Wojek was the rudder. If WRPSS was a plane, then Wojek was the internal guidance system and the aerlirons, If WRPSS was a satellite navigation system, then Wojek was the software and the coloured screen.

We can't replace Wojek, we can only hope we can be as good as he was.

RIPS

We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.
custardchuk
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Hall-of-Famer

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »

RPSOZ will be holding a memorial tournament for chairman Smallsoa this Saturday.

7.00 pm
The Cage Bar
Nightcliff Road.

Half Price Drinks!

Tournament, Hustle, Half Hustle or Strip, we will play whatever you need to play to get through this.

Bring flowers, Bring money, Bring stories.

All welcome.

We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.
Jef Hallestone
Janitorial Staff
Bullboard Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »

If WRPSS was a plane, then Wojek was the internal guidance system and the aerlirons,

As I understood it, if Wojek was a plane then he was more like the 'black box'.

or here is mine : With Wojek, WRPSS is a train. Without Wojek, WRPSS is a train wreck.

Jef Hallestone
That's Jef with one"f"!
AssFist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »

As I read and think more about this, I can't help but think there is something else going on here that is not being divulged.  Did Yahoo! backout of sponsoring?  Did Steamwhislte say no more to the use of their facility?  Did other funding fall through that you are not mentioning?  It just does not seem to make sense to me, and it's a massive mistake.
Dead-on. The 2009 RPSWC itself wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Yahoo!. Obviously, it has costed the Grahams a lot to arrange the event throughout the years (just watch the RPS Doc.). Yahoo, as the main sponsor, has probably backed out this year, leaving the Grahams no other choice but to cancel.

It's a shame. I was really looking forward to a tour overseas for this years WC...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: