World RPS Bullboard
: Society News: Alex Apter seen "back on the job", may also have just been digging through dumpster for food / shelter.

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. November 23, 2017, 08:04:30 PM

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Welcome to the Bull Board  (Read 8529 times)

Master Roshambollah

• Greatest Player in RPS History (retired)
  • Global Moderator
  • Bullboard Legend
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/65301088
Welcome to the Bull Board
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:30:59 AM »

Urbanus and I just fought a fierce battle. The Battle for the Soul of the Bull Board.

By stealth and guile and by a few lucky guesses, we have banished the most recent wave of spam back to from whence it came. Good riddance, but there will of course be more.

The spam assaulting the Bull Board is but a mere digital representation of greater spiritual forces at work. These forces are both local and non-local. They represent not only specific spiritual - and by "spiritual" I mean "occult" - attacks against our community of seekers, but also reflections of both macro- and micro-cosmic concerns. It is no mistake that this coup takes place at the same time that other, more important struggles for autonomy are taking place in other parts of the world.

In any case, this is but a temporary peace. Inevitably, our interest in protecting this community will wane at the same time the forces of idiot commerce run amok. We can only work with what we have now.

What we have now is the active presence of no more than a dozen hard-liners. These hard-liners are required to do nothing. This requirement may be harder than it sounds.

For those who ignore this requirement, there is much work to be done. But not too much. Above all, we must focus on the future of the Sport. We must identify our True Will with regards to the Sport. Forgetting is also a valid option. However, a good place to start is with whatever you truly desire from RPS, even from this forum. We must not become obsessed with form. Without intent, the best-thrown Rock is merely five fingers closed together. Without "u" this "forum" is merely a "form."

To start, back to basics. Focus on personal integrity and exemplary strategy in all things. Play one Hustler-style match of RPS with full intent within the following week. Pay attention to your dreams.

If this forum is still important to you, for whatever reason, let your thoughts be known. Or not. In a hundred years time, no one will know the difference anyway.

Welcome to the Bull Board.

Yours, in the Spirit of Outreach,

MR

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
  • Relax. It's just a game.
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Bull Board
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »

I played a form of Korean Rock Paper Scissors with a stranger at a bar last night called something like Muk Ji Ba.  I've got a real hard time differentiating Korean syllables, so that's as close as I'm gonna get.  In this variation, you have to win, and then tie in order to win the game.  For example, P v R, then S v S, and boom you've got a a winner (the person who opened with paper).  It's also played really fast, so you have less than a second average between throws to get everything down.

Oh yeah I mention this here, and not in my Korean thread, because I agree with Rosh's challenge of a random pick-up game.  I play all the time, and if you're lucky enough to be able to flash your World RPS membership card, you've always got an interesting way to talk about the game to anyone. 

We used to have missions occasionally on this here board; and one pick-up match sounds solid to me!  Do it!!
Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GodSlayerNES

martinburley

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Jerk
  • flow with the throw
    • MSN Messenger - martinburley@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - martinburley
    • View Profile
    • My halfbakery ideas
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:14:46 AM »

I am getting married this weekend, as some of you will know.

I am honoured to have custardchuk, my arch-rival and trusted friend, and Frannie Anne, one of the sport's newest and brightest lights, attending my wedding.

This speaks to what the Bull Board has been: the place where I, an RPS player in the farthest of yonder, encountered like-minded players, where we discussed, completed, plotted and schemed. This was - and as recent events show, still is - a creative space. A volcano is not limited by the dust and earth that gathers on it, even when it has lain dormant. In a place like this, the future is always in a process of unfolding.

The Bull Board has also been the conduit linking the online and the offline. We are real RPS players, competing in real tournaments. That reality enhances the reality of all that happens on here, the mundane and the mythical. The tales we tell are as true as our love of the sport.

I applaud those of you who have shaken the dust from the discussions here. I applaud everyone for whom RPS is not just an amusement in their life, but an enhancement to it. I intend to play my part in the ongoing stories on the Bull Board, and the story of the Bull Board.

After this week, at least. I have the small matter of some large beers to win from some visiting Aussies over the next few days...
"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

R Cohrs

• Bullboard Master
  • Relax. It's just a game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »

Congratulations Martin!  Judging from your posts, I didn't think you had it in you ;)  I'll raise a beer in your honor this weekend!
Zapp: Leela, you forgot one thing.  Rock crushes scissors.  But paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper!  Kif, we have a conundrum!  Bring me a rock... and search them for paper. (Futurama's back baby!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GodSlayerNES

Maxamillion

• Bullboard Veteran
  • (AKA) Dr. SPRock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:52:19 PM »

Congratulations Martin, I will also raise a glass to join your celebration from the other side of the world.

I look forward to reading your story of the worlds first rock paper scissor wedding reception tourney & how the bouquet was won by F.A.R.

Best wishes
Max
Master of the Bull Board Champion 2009

Master Roshambollah

• Greatest Player in RPS History (retired)
  • Global Moderator
  • Bullboard Legend
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/65301088
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 03:27:40 AM »

BULL BOARD UPDATE
The Board has been through rough times of late. When spam was three pages deep, a way was found to use Janitorial Powers to erase said spam. The Board was then deemed a potential hazard by most browsers, and Brad Fox found a way to remove this stigma. Apart from a brief hiatus, there has been only one other recent development.

As most of you know the Board has recently been hit with a wave of spam that does not produce messages, but still corrupts the "last post" data so that the Board still seems to be overrun with spam. This makes it difficult to read the Board, as it is not clear if "recent activity" is human based or just spam.

While poking around on the Board, I found that looking at "Recent Activity" (off the main board) allows me to remove said offending messages. This could take a week or so, but the Board may be back to looking like its usual self in the very near future.

Stay tuned.

custardchuk

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Hall-of-Famer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 04:40:40 AM »

That would be a step forward.
At the moment, it kind of reminds me of the bad ole days when SRN would bogart the threads, and trawling the board was akin to mining for diamonds.
We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.

Maxamillion

• Bullboard Veteran
  • (AKA) Dr. SPRock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »

good work Rosh,

have chuck or yourself found any 'diamonds' in the board yet?

Max
Master of the Bull Board Champion 2009
Pages: [1]