World RPS Bullboard
: WRPS IT department sees "face of Wojek" in toasted bagel, refuse to fix database until mandatory week of observance, partying.

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. November 23, 2017, 08:02:29 PM

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: (Out of Date) RE-WRITING THE RPS MAP: BY LOPPING OFF ENTIRE COUNTRIES  (Read 10991 times)

bullAdmin

• Administrator
  • Bullboard Blowhard
    • View Profile

First off, the crack WRPS IT staff is sincerely sorry for the recent spate of downtime. Although, James would still like point out we got the bullboard up faster than Sony restored the Playstation Network - and they're worth $17 BILLION dollars. So... there's that.

For reasons which still remain unclear, the bullboard remains a very popular target for hackers and spammers which not only annoys us internally, but creates a major toll on our server hardware "under the surface" - to the point that we are now being given warnings by the data center that hosts this site.

To keep the entire IT staff from resigning and taking up a more lucrative position (like panhandling) the WRPS IT steering sub-comittee has approved the unprecedented step of allowing us start blacklisting entire countries. If, an unusual volume of hacking/spammer interest is coming from a country where we do not beleive there to be active bullboard members - we are just going to start firewalling the whole country to block them from being able to access the bullboard at all.

This is a step we don't take lightly - and have held off on for as long as we can, as it's completely at odds with the WRPS mission of international accessibility of the sport - but at some point one has to do a rudimentary cost/benefit analysis. We will monitor the situation and will not hesitate to add other countries to this list as needed.

Again, IT apologizes that a less draconian solution could not be found.  

CURRENT COUNTRIES EXPELLED FROM THE BULLBOARD (Updated May 2, 2011):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
China
Russian Federation

Total Networks Blocked: 7,835
Total Subnets Blocked:  367,886,334
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:40:19 PM by bullAdmin »
BullAdmin

Master Roshambollah

• Greatest Player in RPS History (retired)
  • Global Moderator
  • Bullboard Legend
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/65301088
Re: RE-WRITING THE RPS MAP: BY LOPPING OFF ENTIRE COUNTRIES
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:45:05 PM »

Is there any chance we could block all traffic from Australia and New Zealand as well? Just a thought...

Franklint

• Bullboard Master
  • It's all in the wrist.
    • MSN Messenger - wpridmore@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »

Well I, for one, am happy with the national blocks. On that note, we should probably start ceasing the selling of tournament tickets to Taiwanese players, because there was that one Taiwanese guy who disrespected the society. But that would be racist. Oh, wait...

Seriously though, I always had a sneaking suspicion that the KGB was somehow involved in the takeover and gradual strangulation of the Bullboard, in the same vein as their attempted acquisition of several Californian banks back in '86 (http://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/16/us/russians-sought-us-banks-to-gain-high-tech-secrets.html). In this instance, however, I would imagine their motive was to stop the spread of powerful secrets, rather than possess them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese Triads were in on the whole scheme (an unlikely alliance, I'll admit).

Both countries' limited representation in high-profile tournaments may be a clue that they have been training underground for years, planning a surprise attack and clean sweep of an upcoming WRPSS event. Restricting the communications of the mainstream community, resulting in global confusion and a stagnation of strategic discussion, would give them the perfect opportunity to strike. While we seem to have temporarily recovered from their sabotage, I would recommend all facets and chapters of the Society remain on high alert. Watch for any suspicious visitors to your offices, especially with Russian or Chinese accents. The WRPSS IT steering sub-committee should also consider locking the door to the server room to prevent unauthorised access. Unless Jef's lost the keys again.

Cheers,
Franklint

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:45:24 AM by Franklint »
-Winner of the Best New Bull Boarder of 2007 award.
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
-First ever Australian to lose to a Norwegian in competition play.

Maxamillion

• Bullboard Veteran
  • (AKA) Dr. SPRock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »

good to see you back on form Franklint!

Have the hackers chopped a piece of the board off??

any one in bull admin know where my SPRock Thread went?
I thought i left it in competition area next to uk tournaments but i can't find it anywhere now!

puzzeled
Max
Master of the Bull Board Champion 2009

Master Roshambollah

• Global Moderator
  • Bullboard Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »

Your SPRock forum is alive and well, Max. the link is www.worldrps.com/bullboard/index.php?topic=2727.0

I would also like to point out that posting a link with a "http://" prefix now gives a "flagged as spam" warning, and then the post disappears. Removing the http:// prefix does not trigger the removal of the post, and your link will remain intact.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:09:24 PM by Master Roshambollah »

Master Roshambollah

• Global Moderator
  • Bullboard Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »

You were right, though. I looked in the competition forum and could not find the SPRock thread. I posted a "test" post, and now it comes up again in the competition forum.

Sometimes I feel like the Bull Board is broken beyond all repair. Fix one thing, and something else breaks. Still, thanks to bullAdmin for getting things rolling again.

Master Roshambollah

• Global Moderator
  • Bullboard Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »

And yep, I just checked the General Discussion forum for my "Bride of RPS Meditations" topic. Sure enough, it is nowhere to be found in the topic listings, but when I search for my "recent posts" I can still find it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:17:43 PM by Master Roshambollah »

bullAdmin

• Administrator
  • Bullboard Blowhard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »

That... uh... may have been my zealotry in pruning infected threads... I believe both still exist... somewhere... in the database, and will try to pull them both out.

There's no argument that the current bullboard infrastructure is a very rickety house of cards given how badly it's been hammered over the past few years. Rest assured that IT is not only reacting whenever spammers hand us our ass - but has been concurrently working on finding a pro-active long term solution.
BullAdmin

Franklint

• Bullboard Master
  • It's all in the wrist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »

Good to see you too, Max. The Bullboard seems to be a present-day iteration of the Titanic, and we are but petrified guests clinging feverishly to life-rafts as the ship sinks to the depths.

After recently attempting to register at SkateLog Forum (http://skatelogforum.com/forums/), I noticed a seemingly foolproof method for moderating new members, and limiting spammers' ability to post in their community. Essentially, SkateLog uses an e-mail system whereby potential members must send a personal e-mail to the administrators, listing their location, skill level and preferred forum usernames. Each e-mail is reviewed to ensure it is written by a real person and, if this is the case, the account is approved and then created within about 48 hours. Unfortunately, SkateLog is a far more active community than our own, with at least a dozen new posts popping up per day. This would surely mean that there are quite a number of people attempting to gain accounts daily but, even with this demand, this moderation system seems to work very well. Given our far lower number of potential members, I think that individual e-mail approvals would not be much of a burden on administration. Requiring people to e-mail in would also ensure that we only have members who care enough about the sport to pen a letter containing some basic information.

I would be more than happy to assist with the approval of membership e-mails, if you decide to take up this option. Disabling automatic registration for the forums will be the first step, and may well stop a lot of the spam.

Cheers,
Franklint
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:49:11 AM by Franklint »
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.

bullAdmin

• Administrator
  • Bullboard Blowhard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »

And lo... it has come to pass.  ;)
BullAdmin

Franklint

• Bullboard Master
  • It's all in the wrist.
    • View Profile

Excellent. Great news, BullAdmin!

Cheers,
Franklint

custardchuk

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Hall-of-Famer
    • View Profile
    • Email

This looks so much better.
We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.
Pages: [1]