World RPS Bullboard
: I swear I left a cheese sandwich right here. [shape] of [negative quality] sought for questioning.

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. November 23, 2017, 08:02:11 PM

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: REGISTRATION CLOSED - NEW REGISTRATION PROCEDURES FOR BULLBOARD  (Read 11562 times)

bullAdmin

• Administrator
  • Bullboard Blowhard
    • View Profile

Apparently our country blocks really annoyed people who spam about shoes. Enough that they *really* put their minds to giving us the gears.

Effectively immediately we've disabled automatic registration on the Bullboard. If you are an actual non-shoe-shilling human being (or even an AI, provided you are an RPS playing AI) who would like to join the board: please e-mail with your desired username, city (or country), and a brief paragraph with enough contextual information that we know you've visited and read the site at least once.

Got all that? E-mail can be sent to: bullboard-at-the website you are currently at.

If approved, we will activate a new account and e-mail you a temporary password (you can modify your password once you have logged in for the first time). WRPS IT staff will do their best to activate new accounts within 24 hours on weekdays, and 48 hours on weekends.

The Society again apologizes for this ongoing battle. There are some big changes in the works for Worldrps.com (including the bullboard) but it's been very hard to focus on them while constantly fighting an exponentially increasing load of spam and hackers.
BullAdmin

Franklint

• Bullboard Master
  • It's all in the wrist.
    • MSN Messenger - wpridmore@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: REGISTRATION CLOSED - NEW REGISTRATION PROCEDURES FOR BULLBOARD
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »

You're welcome.

Cheers,
Franklint
-Winner of the Best New Bull Boarder of 2007 award.
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
-First ever Australian to lose to a Norwegian in competition play.

bullAdmin

• Administrator
  • Bullboard Blowhard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »

Just a quick update from your friendly IT department that while there are some "last gasp" spam posts showing up on the bullboard they are all from "zombie" accounts that were bulk-registered prior to the new manual registration system (often more than a year ago). Everything is looking very positive that once we clear out all the inactive accounts (which will take a few more days as there's thousands of them, and we don't want to accidentally delete any actual posters by mistake) the spam situation may (knock wood) be finally under control.

Thanks for your patience during this extremely trying period.
BullAdmin

custardchuk

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Hall-of-Famer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:32:41 PM »

Good news.
Bull Admin, while we have you in that small window between your 46 weeks annual leave and 6 weeks on, I have a couple of questions......

Firstly, regarding the spambots:
Are they simply malicious or do they actually work, (as in making people money)? If the answer is the latter, then why aren't we doing it?
Secondly:
How come you have five green stars for around a hundred posts and others, (eg Franklint) have only a lousy two blues for nearly 500 posts. It's not like you have ever contributed much to the sport, and most certainly, you have billed us regardless.
How about you quit with the self promotion and leave it to the real stars.

regards
custardchuk

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:34:48 PM by custardchuk »
We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.

bullAdmin

• Administrator
  • Bullboard Blowhard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:57:27 PM »

1. If there was a proveable way to make one red cent by shilling shoes and earphones in forum posts this would already be the "World RPS Society Bullboard sponsored by Dr. Dre's crappy overpriced headphones dot com".

2. I get one green star for every time I get an earnest e-mail from someone asking to be registered to the forum which ends with them TRYING TO SPAM ME WITH ADS FOR GLASS CLEANING SERVICES IN THE VERY SAME E-MAIL.

Warmest regards,

BullAdmin

bullAdmin

• Administrator
  • Bullboard Blowhard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »

3. Custardchuk raised a valid point though. We need to find an accurate way to credit bullboarders for their hard work which is not necessarily reflected in their post count. As such, going forward bullboard members will now be credited 1 post per spam user account they delete. To ensure fairness this will not be applied retroactively, and will only count for activity as of this point forward.

Warmest regards,
BullAdmin

bullAdmin

• Administrator
  • Bullboard Blowhard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

4. Continuing the "great spammer expulsion" of 2011, I have just deleted over 90,000 verified spam and zombie forum accounts. After taking weeks to refine a SQL command that would (hopefully) only delete spammer accounts and not actual bullboarders, it was profoundly unsettling that the whole thing only took a shade over 4 seconds to run.

Warmest regards,
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:30:47 PM by bullAdmin »
BullAdmin

custardchuk

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Hall-of-Famer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »

...so you are saying that, now you know how to do it, it takes no time at all.
I hate that.
I'm still learning things, after the best part of a lifetime, and now I've learnt them finally, I'm sort of over learning.
i must say, Bull Admin, that this was an elegant solution to my original complaint.
You'll get no more whinging from me.
We built a better tomorrow yesterday, that's why we have today free.
Pages: [1]