World RPS Bullboard
: Society News: Alex Apter seen "back on the job", may also have just been digging through dumpster for food / shelter.

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. March 26, 2017, 02:52:50 PM

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The WRPSS coat of arms  (Read 4223 times)

Franklint

• Bullboard Master
  • It's all in the wrist.
    • MSN Messenger - wpridmore@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
The WRPSS coat of arms
« on: August 11, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »

Honourable Bullboarders,

For years, the society has stuck loyally to its coat of arms; it is a familiar symbol, known by many as a sign of integrity and professionalism in the sport.

For some time, however, I've wondered about whether it presents the trinity in the best light. Rock and Paper share the same background colour and geometric area, while Scissors is segregated both by colour and location. To me, the balance isn't quite right. All three are equal, and this should be reflected in the logo of the society. Has this idea been previously raised?

So, without rocking the boat too much (can't be too careful around these parts), has anyone ever considered a revision? If the white divider extended vertically between Rock and Paper, to the top of the shield, with Paper given a new background colour, the isolation but synchronisation of the throws might be better reflected. That would require the resizing of the throw icons, probably.

Alternatively, is there a good reason that the current design was chosen? No doubt this matter has been thoroughly explored by far greater minds than mine.

Cheers,
Franklint
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:42:08 PM by Franklint »
-Winner of the Best New Bull Boarder of 2007 award.
-First ever Expert RPS Player born of the Roshambollah Training Systems RPS program.
-First ever Australian to lose to a Norwegian in competition play.

Master Roshambollah

• Greatest Player in RPS History (retired)
  • Global Moderator
  • Bullboard Legend
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/65301088
Re: The WRPSS coat of arms
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:41:14 PM »

It's a good question. Good luck getting anything pushed through around here with any degree of speed. I'm still trying to get my parking space validated in the Pacific NW Regional HQ, and I've lived here for three years now. Funny, the HQ looks like an abandoned warehouse, and I'm still trying to get my access code to work, but at least I get to work from home a lot.

I suspect that at this point, branding has a lot to do with the reluctance to change the traditional coat of arms. To change the image would be to render ineffectual many years of driving the coat of arms image home on banners, signs, etc. Then again, these days it's more inertia than momentum. The coat of arms pays due respect to the traditions of the Society, but may be out of step with the needs of modern players. If you were to start from scratch, what sort of logo would you like to see?

Jef Hallestone

• Janitorial Staff
  • Bullboard Jerk
    • View Profile
Re: The WRPSS coat of arms
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »

It would appear that the logo was updated years ago, in some weird test. Looks like they were trying to make it 'hip' for social media or something https://twitter.com/Worldrps

While it certainly has a more modern look, I can't imagine Wojek would have approved.

Jef Hallestone
That's Jef with one"f"!
Pages: [1]